Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I Am Iron Womannnnnnn

The past week has been up and down. I got to see a lot of my friends this weekend which was great. We hung out and I went around trying to be normal (I even won at duckpin bowling).

Unfortunately... my red blood cell count had been dropping the past couple weeks. This caused a lot of fatigue and dizziness. I found out Monday that I had to get an iron infusion because of this. (I'd been taking iron pills and they weren't helping). So I got it that done yesterday and it was a long day. We went in at 9 and stayed till 4:30. There was the initial test dose and then waiting an hour to make sure I didn't have an adverse reaction to them. Luckily I didn't. Next was the actual infusion which took about five hours (maybe a little more). It seemed brutal, but if it goes well it will keep me from getting a blood transfusion.

Unfortunately, I had woken up on the cranky side of the bed yesterday, and I really didn't want to be there. My mood improved as the day went on, which was good, and it really wasn't that bad. Josh came with me and was in it for the long haul. We tried to watch Once Upon A Time In The West, but I kept falling asleep, so we only got about 45 minutes in. We also played one of our favorite games, Gazillionaire. It was nice to spend time together, since he's been so busy with Black Friday/Post Thanksgiving Holiday hours at work.

It was such an exciting sight when the iron bag was almost empty, I took a picutre!



There was also a double rainbow we saw on the way home, which I thought needed it's picture taken! (You can only see the single here, it was a lot brighter and colorful in real life).



Today the chest pains have started from my Neulasta shot (the shot that makes me produce white blood cells). It kind of stinks, but I've got some good medicine to help with the pain, and a wonderful husband to make me lunch :)

5 comments:

  1. You should be heartened by having seen the rainbow on the way home after a grueling day. Whenever we have an opportunity to see one, it's like a promise that there will still be wonderful surprises in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you always find an up side to every situation - like being able to spend time with Josh while you have to sit for several hours during a procedure. That's such a fabulous attitude, Shannon. I thank God for His provision of a loving husband for you.

    Hang in there, girl. You are doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so gonna kick cancers ass! Sorry its kickin back right now. You will come out on the other side of this a stronger woman (esp if you keep gettin the iron pumped in - watch out Josh!) Praying for you dear Shammon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As grueling as it is to get iron that way, it sounds better than eating liver and Cream of Wheat. Hope the medical staff has a sense of humor to match yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for doing this blog. It's great to see your progress! I pray this latest treatment works as planned. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete